View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 11:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese Casserole

I've tried many different low carb variations on this old favorite, but this one with cauliflower is still closest to my heart. Maybe because cauliflower goes so well with ham or bacon (which I always add.) And cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable; one of your health powerhouses.

In any case, the original recipe I got from George Stella, but here's after I fussed with it:

5 cups cauliflower, fresh (or frozen & thawed) chopped into florets & chunks
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, softened in microwave
1 1/2 teaspoons horseradish mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups ham cubes (or crumbled, cooked, bacon to taste)

Use an 8 by 8 inch baking dish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees (or 350 degrees if using Pyrex.) Spray baking dish with vegetable oil spray.

Rinse and microwave the raw cauliflower until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Use salad spinner to dry. (If using frozen, cook about half the time indicated on the package--you want it to finish cooking in the oven.) Put cauliflower in dish, top with meat.

Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in shredded cheese & pepper and whisk until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower and ham. Top with another 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let stand for ten minutes to firm up sauce.

Nutritional Info for the Whole Thing:

Carb Protein Fat Fiber Calories
46 113.9 183.7 20.5 2250

Of course, you can use different cheeses. I love Pepper Jack!
Sponsored Links