View Single Post
  #16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 19:38

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Here's a basic Collard green cook I did a week ago. You're milage may vary.

Ingredients:
A couple bunches of Collard greens
Onion
Garlic
Bacon grease
Somked Ham Hoc
Vinegar
Salt
Dried Thai chili flake
Hot Sauce (I like La Valentina x hot)

So There a couple of way to go, with stems or without. This time I got so many greens that if i used the stems they would not fit in the 5L pot. I like the stems/ribs a lot, they are kind of sweet.

The way I prepare the green is to fill up a huge sink and soak and wash them under the water. The store bought greens around here don't have much dirt so it might be a bit over kill. Next stem the leaves. Keep or discard stems. Layer leaves on cutting board stacked maybe 5-8, roll them up and cut into circular strips. One inch or less works for me. Set the cut greens in a large container. Chop up the stems if you are going to use those.

Start the Instapot on saute mode add some type of fat. I like to use bacon drippings. Add stems and get those going till you think you should add in the onion and garlic. I also toss in a lot of Thai chili. Saute away. the pot is pretty hot so I use low or medium setting.

I add in the hocks or other kind of pork thing into the mix and roll it around for a bit. Next, pack the greens into the pot. Leave a little room at the top. The greens will not expand but this is recommended.

You can add hand fulls of greens and sprinkle salt as you go. I kind of just wait till they are all in and then blast salt on them. I then add hot sauce over them.

Then comes the tricky part of adding liquid. In the begining I always seemed to add to much. The greens have a bunch in them. So what I now do is mix up some vinegar and water. I normally use less than a cup and I like a LOT of vinegar, like half and half in an 8oz cup. You can always add more vinegar after and that probably a smarter thing to do.

So you add the liquid over the top and try to drive down the salt and hot sauce thru the greens. That's it!

I stop the saute mode and switch to "manual" and high pressure for 30 mins or so. It make pretty mushy greens. You should experiment with shorter times if you like really firm greens. So go for maybe 15-20 mins and quick release the pressure and take a look and feel of what's happening. Close it back up if you think you need more cooking.

I never had these before about 2 years ago. I bought bunches many times but chickened out cooking them and the greens wilted and were tossed. Now they are one of my favorite sides and can be even be a main meal with all the pork (or other meat) and fat that you can add.

Here's some I did a few days ago, not a great picture but they are delicious to me Good luck and ask question and I will try to answer. I also made some coconut beef that was good and I wrote up some stuff and will post after this.

Sponsored Links