#17   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-17, 10:14

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
We need to be smart, we want to get healthy, that's the whole idea, the weight will come off, patience and diligence, take care Bill.

Yes, and I have taken most of the good advice I've gotten in these forums. I ignored the things I have read about making sure I get enough fluids because I initially had a problem with edema, (I lost over 17 pounds my first week on LC).

I started suspecting I was maybe going overboard avoiding salt and water when I noticed myself getting "pruney fingers". There are numerous possible causes for this but when the gout started I really got to thinking:

"Gout and Pruney Fingers are symptoms associated with, among other things, diabetes and obesity. A low carb diet addresses both problems so why all the sudden, now that I have lost over 40 pounds and normalized my blood sugar are these things happening! What am I doing wrong?!" The other common association was chronic dehydration.

One thing is for sure, I have been dehydrated. For the past few days now I have been forcing myself to drink at least 64oz of fluids per day. Once I hit 64 oz I still get something to drink if I am thirsty, I'm treating it as a minimum and not a maximum. It seems to have worked. Both my pruney fingers and my gout have disappeared. I'm also still over 6 pounds heavier than I was this time last week but I know it is not due to eating. Except for last Sunday, I have been skipping breakfast and lunch all week and eating less than 20 carbs and 1000 calories so the only place the extra weight can be coming from is water.