View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-17, 16:48

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

This mTOR thing doesn't make sense to me, can't make it fit everything else I know about health and disease. So I found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28505179
Quote:
Interestingly, an increase in mRNA levels of anabolic genes (PI3K and mTORC1 complex: mTOR, mLST8 and RAPTOR) was also observed during food restriction.

Conclusion: Fasting causes growth. Not the first time I drew this conclusion, but this is the first time I find it in an experiment. Absurd that absence of materials would cause growth which would require those missing materials, right?

No, makes perfect sense. Biology is regulated by pro- and anti- systems, where the balance between the two produces what we call homeostasis. Take muscle growth for example. It is regulated by hormones, and these hormones then activate certain enzymes. With muscles, they grow continuously through myogenesis. Myostatin inhibits this growth. Follistatin inhibits myostatin, thus allowing this continuous growth to resume. The balance between continuous growth, follistatin and myostatin produces muscle mass homeostasis.

The point is that fasting is the absence of materials for this growth, and myostatin would then act in full force due to lack of materials for myogenesis to occur, resulting in muscle loss. To prevent muscle loss at a time when muscle mass is absolutely required for survival, myostatin must be inhibited, or mitigated by some other agent. Well, fasting stimulates GH, and GH is the most potent growth agent. GH also acts on enzymes, probably a ton of them too.

So now we got mTOR and GH who wake up when we fast, but then some guys with degrees say both of these things are bad cuz of something about cancer and oxydation and such. OK, let's get one thing clear. The benefits of fasting are unquestionable. Therefore, whoever says whatever bad stuff about mTOR and GH are likely to be complete idjits, let's not just regurgitate their BS, mkay?

Back to you, Dave.