#4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 13:23

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy-s
I love the Protein Power low carb diet. The only thing that concerns me is i seem to be eating too many fat grams. My carb intake stays at 30 grams but my fat intake goes way up. Does anyone know of foods that are low in fat and low in carbs? I used to eat low fat(weight watchers) so it scares me to consume so many fat grams.
I spent some time with Protein Power too.

Weight Watchers scares people about fat grams because it's a higher carb plan, and it's not a good idea to get fuel from both sources at the same time. You are right that low carb advises to get food energy from fat and keep the carbs low.

I feel best with fat grams one and a half times my protein grams, per day. So if my protein requirement is 60 g, then my fat is 90 g or I am starving. Or if you like percent of calories, at least 60% or more from fat. Because my body's stored fat can only release so much at a time, and if I don't intake food energy, the whole machine shuts down.

Quote:
If you buy low carb there is more fat and if you buy low fat then there are more carbs. Can't seem to win.
Hm, sounds like you don't want food energy, because you have extra weight? As if by removing all sources of food energy, (fat and carbs), you might lose faster? I'm sorry little bear, it doesn't work that way. I tried to go as low fat as possible and that's how I know my lower limit of fat. Too low really is rotten feeling and doesn't even work.

After my 5 (!) failed attempts with weight watchers I always had this idea of metabolism as "burning calories" like a barbecue. As a little tiny deconditioned woman I had a little tiny hibachi so I had to eat little tiny food so my "furnace" (the hibachi) could burn it all.

Now I think very differently. Now I think of metabolism like a big strong stoker guy (or gal) shoveling coal into a furnace. (anyone remember that engine room scene from Titanic?) The stoker is my metabolism, the coal is strictly fuel - stored fat. The good food I eat makes the stoker really strong and fast, and the coal he is shoveling is my stored fat. So the better I eat, the more coal gets burned. But! I can't eat too much because if I eat more than the stoker needs, the extra food turns into more coal!

bwha ha ha ha