View Single Post
  #258   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-15, 11:29

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Thanks, Micki Sue. I've read Taubes a couple of times (I don't have a strong science background, but with a couple of readings I think I have a good understanding of what he says) and totally agree with what he states, at least in principle. I too am post-menopausal and have been eating LC since late 2003 (starting with South Beach, progressing to Atkins, and a little over a year ago adding limited IF).

I certainly agree that replacing carbs with fat allows one to eat more calories on a daily basis with less propensity to store some of those calories as fat. However, whether one has to limit calories or not I think has to do with appetite, amount of activity, and some genetic or epigenetic variants such as initial carb tolerance. Like you, I lost quickly when I switched my diet to Low Carb, and maintained effortlessly for a couple of years.

However, eventually my appetite rebounded, and without increasing carbs, I began to gain weight. Over the 10+ years I have been low carb, I have periodically needed to tweak things to maintain and/or lose additional pounds.

You may never have to do this - I hope that will be the case. Most LC experts agree that even though Low Carb is your best bet to control weight, one cannot totally ignore calories. Jeff Volek states that it is in fact possible to gain weight while eating ketogenically if you exceed your daily need for calories. What I've learned on these boards after many many years is that everyone is a little different in what they have to do to lose and/or maintain.

I definitely encourage you to keeping doing what you are doing as long as it is working for you. I would also encourage you to look at what others are doing if your weight begins to creep up. Good luck!