View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 14:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

I think heredity can win even against good diet and exercise. My family experienced a big shock this month. My partner and I have followed low carb and performed strength and cardio training at a gym for over 3 years (since Jan 2004). We both lost about 30 - 35 pounds and have kept it off. My partner had a small heart attack at the gym this month. He had two blockages cutting off much of the heart's primary supply of blood. He's fixed now with two cobalt/chromium stints and will return to work soon. He's 40 years old! Note: his father died of a heart attack at age 42.

His docs seem to approve of his diet/exercise (though we do have to call it something like South Beach because they "freak out" at the mention of Atkins. For the record we love veggies and some fruits. We had continued to describe our diet as Atkins because we like to give Dr. Atkins credit for opening so many people's eyes and really starting this whole way of eating.

Also, his lipids are normal to borderline. Naturally, the docs are aiming to send his cholesterol levels far below normal - much to our concern. Right now he is off Zocor because his liver function went far too high. On the other hand, his family history does seem to be a proven problem now so perhaps a lower dose of statin is the RIGHT thing to do.

Sigh! We are surprised, disappointed, and concerned. We continue to eat a good diet (low carb) but have switched to egg beaters, less butter, and lower fat meat choices and continue to eat lots of veggies. He will be returning to work in a couple of weeks and also the gym.