Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
There was a study funded by Runners World. Two marathon runners of similar ability and body mass each ran a marathon on a treadmill. A marathon is a 26.2 mile race. One ran it in 3 hours, the other in 4 hours. Both runners were hooked up to gizmos that recorded what percentage of calories were burned from fat, protein and glycogen. They burned the exact number of calories during the marathons. But the slower runner burned something like 85% of the calories from fat.

The problem is that systemically and hormonally, the long distance runners or traditional cardio people don't continue to burn fat well beyond exercise. The HIIT type exercisers burn much more fat for HOURS after their brief (20minutes) exercise regimen, amounting to many times over the fat burned during exercise for the "long and slow". There are several studies on this phenomenon and Al Sears does a good job of explaining. That is if you are interested.

Quote:
Members of this list love to crow over the idea that we evolved into meat eaters. If so, we also evolved into runners. Running is the best exercise for general health. You don't need a gym membership, you don't need expensive equipment, just some shoes and sunscreen.

I think interval sprinting can be great but I think for general health that extended runs or any type of "long and slow" exercise is horrible with regard to the cardiopumonary system, orthopedics and body composition. Who looks healthier, a sprinter or a marathoner? (I think a large majority would say the sprinter, but to each his own.)

Quote:
I've done over 30 marathons, two dozen 50 mile races, three 24-hour races and one 100-mile race. Those 'scrawny' runners are a tough bunch, running in all weather, running with blisters and injuries. My guess is they're generally healthier than those bloated iron-pumpers I see at the gym.

I will not judge how someone wants to use their body or compete. I admire many athletes but the wear and tear on their bodies beyond their playing years can be crippling (e.g. football and boxing) and would not be recommended as being 'healthy'. I think given a dozen 'health markers' that the bloated iron-pumpers would out-perform by a wide margin a marathoner on nearly every test.

Kind regards