#53   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 08:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Terrific! Love that it is an adaptation of the book's thesis by Gary Taubes himself. I hesitate to use The Daily Mail as a serious source when their journalists write the stories...but I will use this one.
Thanks, Demi

Ya, that one was good. Really good.

Quote:
Everyday table sugar (known as sucrose) is actually made up of two carbohydrates — glucose and fructose — and it's the fructose that makes sugar particularly damaging.

Unlike other carbs, fructose is mostly processed in the liver, where it is turned into fat and seems to trigger a sequence of events that eventually leads to cells becoming resistant to insulin.

Taubes fans like myself should focus on this fact, "fructose is mostly processed in the liver". Yes 100g of sucrose and fructose have a lower glycemic index than glucose. Yes, it's very easy to measure the GI and it is directly related to the treatment of T1 and T2 diabetes but glucose leaves the liver alone while sucrose and fructose attack it directly and are the cause of metabolic syndrome.

It sure would be better if we addressed the cause of metabolic syndrome rather than the effects.