View Single Post
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-14, 11:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Elizellen,
Wow, Now that's innovative thinking. A cheese bowel.
I love it!! I am definitely going to try that!

I just noticed you're doing DANDR. No wonder you like vegetables too. lol
I can't even imagine doing this WOE without veggies and the nutrition that comes with them.

I cooked Collard Greens last night for dinner along with oven baked pork ribs. I love that it's so easy to cook since it all comes prewashed and cut up in a bag, ready to go.
Back in the day I didn't cook tham very often or didn't know how because it took a huge amount of work to just get it ready to cook since it retains so much sand all throughout the leaves as does spinach too. I used to have an older neighbor who taught me so much about cooking and she once showed me how to wash greens and it literally took 2-3 pots of water to wash each leaf meticulously then rewash, pour out water and repeat the washes. Oh so much work and so much water too. Nothing worse than going through all this work and crunching down on sand....
So thank goodness for this prewashed perfectly fresh bag of greens.

To cook the greens I cut up 6-8 slices of bacon and some onion and cooked it until the fat rendered out of the bacon and then even added a little more bacon drippings and then poured in bouillon beef broth then added the Greens, salt and pepper, covered and cooked. I also added butter toward the end. (I was real careful adding salt because the bacon has so much salt and I have over done it before, not a good thing. You can always add more but you can't take it out)
Greens take longer to cook than spinach does, maybe about 30 minutes and they were so good. I feel like when I am eating them that I am getting so much vitamins and minerals from them.