Thread: Comfort Drink?
View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 18:57

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

My hot drink of choice, at any time of day, is hot, unsweetened, black tea. But another one I have been making on cold winter evenings lately is Turmeric Milk. When DH wants cocoa I will make this for me. I started because of the health benefits - turmeric is a wonderful anti inflammatory - but continue because it is so nice.
I use whole cow's milk, but nut milks would no doubt also be good. I add various warm spices: black pepper (works synergistically with turmeric), ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, and turmeric of course (any or all of these spices - really I only consider the turmeric, pepper, and ginger to be non-negotiable). I use whole spices, because I have them, crack them up a little in a mortar, but I wold think that powdered spices would also be good. I heat the milk to just below boiling, take it off the heat, and let the spices steep for awhile, an hour or two if I thought about it early enough. With powdered spices the steeping shouldn't be necessary. Strain as needed, re-heat as needed, and enjoy.