View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-16, 15:59

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I have no idea if what I'm saying has any scientific basis, but I'm hoping that my thyroid function improves as I lower my insulin resistance. There are more and more autoimmune diseases that seem to also be helped with a ketogenic diet (I recently posted one about MS), and that would imply that increased insulin and inflammation plays a role in the autoimmunity process.

Most of us with low thyroid levels are considered to have Hashimoto's, which is an autoimmune disease. All my thyroid levels are in the low-normal range and I take desiccated thyroid (Armour). I was considering asking my doctor to increase the dosage a bit to see if I could bring those levels up, but then decided to wait and see if the ketogenic diet with IF will make a difference on my next lab results.

I was worried that lowering my insulin with intermittent fasting, which also lowers your calories on those fasting days, would impact both my metabolism and my thyroid function. But after watching several Jason Fung videos, he shows research where fasting does not lower metabolism, so I'm hoping it also does not impact thyroid -- in fact, I'm hoping it helps.

I'll keep monitoring to see what happens. I definitely have more energy, so that's a pretty good indication that I'm at least not doing harm.

Kat