View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 21:48

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Well I'm definitely in this category. I did a 'trial' of PPLP for 3 weeks in Jan02. It was great!--in 9 days, at least several major health ailments just vanished (allergies, severe asthma, acid reflux, much of the sleep apnea 'degree', aching knees, etc.), I lost size measurably, I had lots of energy--but the complete disorganization in my life (so little time I was sleep deprived--so planning, cooking, preparing, were out of the question) made it impossible to do well.

So I figured well, I'll just have to wait till I can arrange my life to make it happen. <b>I believe that nobody stays on a diet or eating plan unless they are really ready to do it. Part of the indicators that a person is ready is that they make room in their life.</b> They make TIME for planning, cooking, storing, preparing, eating multiple meals a day. They make EFFORT to deal with family and friends who, while spending every moment "actively worried" about their weight killing them, will then sabotage their every sincere effort to deal with it that doesn't match their low-fat high-carb concept of 'diet'.

I "lurked" (read but didn't post) in here maybe once every two weeks, and maybe a year later decided I was going to finally do it. De-lurked early to try and get my enthusiasm up, but had to decide I clearly wasn't ready, since I still couldn't get my life act together to facilitate the WOL's needs.

(I don't believe in yo-yo dieting. After one brief but serious attempt, following gaining over 200lbs in 2 years age 24-26, I never dieted. The women in my family, most 100+lbs overweight, have at least 150 years of historical 'research' into how to diet every day of your damn life and still be obese. I didn't feel like walking that road so once I got over the suicidal impulses I just shrugged and went on with my life, determined not to worry too much about it.)

So I went back to lurking. I still read the boards, maybe once every month or two, particularly Triple Digits.

I saw a post on TD recently where someone said, where did all the people go from six months ago? And they all made this official statement about being committed. That's great.

But it was clear the previous time I'd been posting that people doing an LC WOL don't want someone hanging around if they are NOT on the line (and that's a GOOD thing), several comments made me feel really guilty and embarrassed about it. Of course that's not bad, that is the kind of get-off-your-butt encouragement people need!, this IS after all support for low-carbers! So I'm not griping, at all. I felt it was likely appropriate and I had no right to be here.

But it made me feel like a prostitute in church. LOL. Hanging out like nothing is wrong, and like nobody should mind.

The sad thing is that after a long time of reading (and sometimes posting) here for 1.5 years now, I got genuinely affectionate about some of the people I was talking to and reading from. So in a way I felt like I was sort of losing some friends, not forever, just... until I could rejoin the church LOL.

So since then, I just lurk. My eating is much closer to LC than it ever has been in my life -- a great deal of my eating is stir fry, and some of Karen's awesome recipes, occasionally a protein shake, but I am not at all on an LC eating plan.

Now over time, since the first time I tried it, I've managed to come by a whole lot of tools that would have made it vastly easier to begin with. Crock pot, meat slicer, bar blender, food processor. (I hear the vacuum sealers can keep a salad fresh for over a week -- that might be useful!). I had a major problem when I did the eating plan, of my ingredients going bad in the fridge before I got to them, then not having something critical for what I wanted to make, and ended up eating LC junk--pepperoni and cheese, bacon, processed meats, peanut butter, all kinds of crap that technically kept my numbers right but did zip for my health. Which to me is an equally serious issue as weight itself.

I really believe now that semi-workaholics like me really need to do some bulk cooking and freezing and menu planning, and have basically 2 weeks+ of food except the fresh stuff ready before they begin. Otherwise, time/convenience ends up killing the eating plan, or in my case usually just doing without food altogether which isn't right either. It's pathetic to not 'give in' to carb cravings and to have spent a long time getting educated about something and yet to blow the eating plan because you haven't planned/shopped/prepared and have to either starve or eat something high carb (because your low carb stuff has perished in your fridge--damn I hate the perishable nature of most the food on this plan!).

Anyway. So yeah, I read the board when I'm "cheating", if not being on the plan at all counts as cheating. But I think like Becca says, most people who 'leave' here do it because they're not on the WOL and they don't feel comfortable.

PJ