View Single Post
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-18, 08:21

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Skating yesterday evening at little rink in suburbs. 2 rinks with boards and one large flooded area. I was working on what we use to call "wind sprints" and making all the stops on my "weak side" which is my left foot forward. As I'm goofy foot on surfboard/skateboard I tend to favor right foot forward.

So, it my usually method of practicing things I like to concentrate on my weak points first. It's very tempting to keep repeating things that you are good at. This is not practice in my mind, this is honing one side of the knife.

When I consciously identify a weak spot I will focus on that and go back to beginner basics - As in what Sgt. Shutlz said in Hogan Hero's "I know nothing!" even tho he knew. The difficult part and one that takes time is training yourself to work on things you suck at. A beginner KNOWS they suck so it's not a big deal to them. A beginner has an open mind and enthusiastic, joyful spirit. That's what I shoot for.

Approach a problem with an open, joyful, curious mind; Then practice becomes play and is enjoyable. There are no ultimate goals, only the open spirit of embracing the unknown - see where it takes you - It might be somewhere you didn't plan on going. Be surprised

Heading out to explore a lake to day kitesnowboading with my buddies. I will be practicing weak side, toeside riding on - I'm not good at it, we call it riding switch. One of my new online snowboard mentors, Ryan Knapton, plans to spend 2018 also practicing switch - the goal for me is to develop a stance-less approach to riding like Rodney Mullen has on skateboard where there is no weak side, no strong side, no side at all - just riding.

Ryan Knapton 2018 Goals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st9rBVd1bn0

Rodney Mullen "Build on a Bedrock of Failure":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSiY9iWrMU

Lake and launch options today: