View Single Post
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 20:04

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 205/180/175
BF:
Progress: 83%

Just for the heck of it, I read the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990 (NLEA) which is nicely summarized here. <- click on the word "here"

The way I read it, if they are claiming that these bars are low carbohydrate, then they are required by the Act to list "Other" carbohydrates, just as I've noticed the claimed "Sugar Free" foods always list the Sugar Alcohols if they are used.

Anyway, since we were talking about what's in the fridge and most things get there through a trip to the store with all of the semi-informative and somewhat misguided (nutrition information is supposed to be listed in order of priority for health concerns, yet we see where carbs end up!) labels. I thought this info and link might be at least somewhat relative to the topic at hand.

Perhaps, when we are armed with this knowledge of the law, some of these food manufaturers can be pressured into "coming clean" about the nutritional value of thier products. I know they just love the archaic FDA guidlines that place so much emphasis on fat content and tend to gloss over carbs and sugars. (bottom of the list!) They can pump thier food full of good tasting and addictive sugar and tell us it's good for us because it's "Fat Free" or "Low Fat". grrrr...

Chris