View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 00:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

More important than the amount of a supplement is your body's ability to assimilate the form of the supplement. For example, the Centrum multi-vitamin uses lots of mineral oxides (the last time I checked), which are nearly impossible for the body to assimilate.

Many calcium supplements are in the form calcium carbonate. From this form, the body absorbs only 5% of the calcium listed on the supplement label! A chelate, such calcium citrate or malate, is about 10-15% assimilable. Even calcium hydroxy-apetite is only 30-35% available. And no matter how much calcium one takes in, absorption appears to be limited by foods that make you excrete calcium, e.g., anything that breaks down quickly into glucose, caffeine, and a few others I can't remember now. A LC WOE will minimize the glucose in your body, so that you won't have to give up your coffee.

Calcium needs to be in a 2:1 ratio with magnesium, and most combo supplements have this ratio.

The Pioneer brand multi-vitamin and cal-mag combo are the ones I use. The cal-mag pill seems to be mostly ground-up cow bones, and so it naturally has assimilable forms of the minerals in the right proportions.

The form of Vitamin C you take must be matched to your metabolic type. Some people will assimilate the cheap ascorbic acid very well, and some need the more expensive calcium ascorbate.

Potassium is best absorbed by eating real food. The body needs about 2 mg of potassium per calorie eaten. You would have to take a huge number of pills to get the proper levels, and there have been reports of medical problems with a large amount of potassium supplementation. But there has never been any report of problems of ingesting potassium through food, and 2C of a potassium broth daily will give you half of what the body needs.

Of course, magnesium carries potassium into the cells, so take your mag. supplements (or some coconut milk) along with the broth. About twice as much magnesium as potassium is about right in the diet.

Also, you need proper benchmark and comparison lab tests to determine what, if any, effects supplements are having. For example, you need to have a 25-OHD test to measure Vit. D-3 levels in your body. After 6 months of supplementation, you need to test again to measure the difference in levels. Measuring magnesium and potassium requires an intracellular test, such as the EXATest, because these minerals are concentrated within cells. Knowing their serum levels, measured by standard lab tests, is not helpful.

Since zinc competes with copper for the same receptors in the body, it's important not to take too much zinc or take supplements for too many days in a row. 15 mg./day when you're healthy seems fine, depending on the form, and you need about 50 mg/day for 2 out of 3 days when you're ill to help your body make white blood cells.

I hope this helps.