View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-12-01, 08:47

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Hi Elaine

I've had different sleep patterns too with the diet, the bad dreams that you get during induction and whilst not insomnia. I sleep for 2 - 3 hours less per day and my eyes often feel a little sore but I just cant sleep for any longer than six hours. Not that its a problem because I have so much more energy.

I cant tell you the detail of it because I cant remember where exactly I read it as I have been trawling the net daily researching low carb and diabetes, glycaemic and insulin indices etc.

One of the things I read, I'm pretty sure has to do with insulin or high blood glucose levels? having an effect on serotonin, a major neurotransmitter in the brain. Although the neurotransmitter, melatonin is responsible for sleep, altering serotonin definitely can have a major effect on sleep.

I know this because I had post natal depression for a few months and the gave me a serotonin reuptake inhibitor drug to make me feel better. Basically works by improving the uptake of serotonin in the brain and the effect it had on me was to make me sleep more soundly and for longer, as well as feeling a bit better.

Possibly the change in diet has slowly resulted in changes in the serotonin level in your brain which may have had a cumulative effect over time?? The other thing I have noticed is that the more supplements I take, the harder I find it is to get off to sleep. Particularly B complex and if taken in the evening.

Medically I dont know a thing though but i have been definitely thinking about upgrading my exercise (from nothing much) to something more strenuous to get rid of some of my excess energy. (What a problem to have!) (Guess everybody here would be a site happier if I went to bed earlier....)

Keep on trying on the job front. I've just got a job and felt just like you but the newly assertive me, went out there and did it! Knowing Te Kuiti, I know jobs are probably few and far between so if at first you dont succeed, dont think its because you're too fat or too old. Just keep on trying and it'll come.

Best Wishes

Nicola