View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

I had a few heart palpitations that were mainly cause by eating to much salty foods like fried pork rinds and high salt cheese. My blood pressure was moderately high at 150/95. Reducing the salt and adding potassium helped reduce the palpitation greatly, but they still seemed to be borderline. My blood pressure dropped to the 145/85 range.

I was reading Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades book, Protein Power Lifeplan, and found the section on magnesium especially interesting. I had been taking 500 mg. of chelated magnesium twice a day and 1000 mg. of chelated calcium per day and thought that was more than adequate, but I decided to increase the magnesium another 500 mg. per day and keep the calcium at 1000 mg. I also kept salt intake low and switch to "No Salt Added" Swiss cheese from Safeway. These values are for a large male with 160 pounds lean body mass and should be adjusted for smaller people.

The magnesium will take several weeks or months to build up in the body so don't expect immediate results. However, my heart palpitations stopped within a few weeks and have not returned. Heart rate is very steady and equally spaced. My blood pressure has dropped further to the 125/75 range and was measured on two different days at about 109/68. AWESOME. I was still drinking regular caffeine coffee, some diet colas and caffeine black tea. I found the caffeine had no effect as is commonly claimed.

The higher magnesium is also very good for the bones. Magnesium may be more important for bone health than calcium according to Drs. Eades, and I agree. Avoid excessive calcium because the excess depletes the magnesium. Excess sodium also depletes both potassium and calcium. Give it a try and let us know if it works the same for you.

Preventing Osteoporosis, Bone Loss, Hip Fractures and Degenerative Disk Disease.

Kent