#3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-16, 11:41

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
There's a lot out there on increasing strength.
What kind of endurance? for what activity?

Do you enjoy learning from others? perhaps a one-time series with a trainer would help with the basics and teach you how to teach yourself and set up your own programs for improving whatever you desire.

One little tidbit from exercise science - insulin raises after a certain period with endurance exercise. Like 45-60 minutes out, if you do it hard enough. Also there can be a surge after whole-body anaerobic strength stuff.
See Katch-McKardle's "Exercise Physiology" for the gory details.

If you are just starting, I suggest you start learning some basics on fitness. in my experience, sometimes people have read thousands of words for YEARS on the nutrition side, and then when turning to the movement side, are just beginning. It makes sense to get yourself educated. Plus there is some exciting stuff and exercise research, unlinke nutrition, is in my opinion much more solid because they measure things directly instead of using epidemiological studies.

I would start with Mark Sisson's "Primal Fitness" (sign up, then free download). Or stumptuous.com for a women's strength training site with a feminist edge. Both of those help you set up your weekly plan so you arrange all your different types of sessions for the best outcomes.

You are so right -- I have read tons of books and blogs and articles about nutrition -- but almost nothing on fitness. Seems like I need to do that work also. My endurance goal is mostly for hiking -- I love hiking in the mountains and want to be able to go up the trail without having to stop so much, plus I want to go farther. I've never stopped hiking, but I just can't keep up with most people. My other fitness goal is to not lose strength as I age -- to be the best old person I can be.

Thanks so much for the insight.

PS: Do you think it's the ketogenic diet and/or fasting that is keeping me from getting sore? It's awesome, but it feels strange to lift all that weight and do movements I haven't done in 20 years and feel absolutely no pain at all. Is that info in the books?