View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-08, 09:43

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I eat before I work out. And after. Is there a difference between working out and working? It doesn't make sense to advise to not eat before a workout yet we should eat a good hearty breakfast before we go to work. As if working was fundamentally different from working out.

The advice to not eat in the morning before a workout probably comes from the assumption that if we eat, we will eat some form of carbs such as breakfast cereals or toast or pancake all of which loaded with extra sugar. In that context, it makes sense that we will preferentially burn fat if we don't eat. Because as soon as we eat carbs, we switch to glucose for fuel and stop using fat. This switch doesn't happen if we eat fat and protein. In that case, we continue to use fat for fuel.

In my opinion, the body needs a reason to lose muscle. Fasting can be one such reason. Eating carbs can be another reason. Combine the two, do it for a while every day, and muscle should be lost at a regular rate.

Concerning not eating in the morning. If you're not hungry, then maybe you don't need to eat. As I understand it, hunger is simply what we feel when we need to provide nutrients to our cells. If our cells have everything they need, we're not going to be hungry. Still, I'm not hungry in the morning but I do become a little hungry after a couple of hours or so. Fasting cuts hunger as fat is released from fat cells. Exercise would do that too. Are you hungry after your morning workout? You should eat when you're hungry.