Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 07:09
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwalhan
I am an avid reader. I am also a hundred pounds overweight and throughout my long journal of weightloss the readings have told me that it is best to lose the majority of the fat loss one desires and then do weights to tone. I've read some conflicting info and the biggest loser has me even more confused.

Can anyone please help? Is it okay to do weights say for the arms and ab workouts when one still has a lot of fat to lose?

Thanks!

Not only is it ok, it's desirable. Here's what my mentor (Built, aka Marianne Anderson) had to say about it, when asked the same question:

"You have a lot of LBM (muscle mass) NOW - you have to, to carry the extra weight. Lifting at the moment won't "do" much for you, but it's prep work; you're setting yourself up so that by the time you've dropped oooooh say fifty pounds, you'll have also built up considerable strength and work capacity. This means that by the time you actually NEED to worry about protecting LBM, you'll actually be strong enough to stimulate enough microtrauma. You'll get killer afterburn right when you'll need it most.

At the moment, lifting won't do this for you. You're simply not able to work intensely enough to make this happen. But by doing the lifting you're doing NOW, you're setting yourself up so that you WILL be able to make it happen more and more as you progress along your conveyor belt."