View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 09:28

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

What do you mean by super-strict keto? There are so many plans calling themselves keto. I see the ketoevangelist site says;

Quote:
No calorie counting
No food measuring
Bacon!

Even very low carb veggies can keep a person out of ketosis. They do say moderate protein, but high fat... I follow a pretty strict ketogenic diet, and I don't really consider not measuring an option if I want to call my diet ketogenic. And it's not just a matter of making sure that protein isn't too high for ketosis--it's also a matter of keeping protein from being too low. If you're trying to take in towards the lower requirement for protein, just by guess work, there's the danger of going too low.

Out of curiousity, I listened to this ketoevangelist podcast. I don't really want to criticize your chosen plan too much, that's not the question you asked. But I think their arguments are just wrong. There is no such thing as a predictably"ketogenic" diet without tracking. Food data bases aren't perfect, it's true that you can't know exactly what you're eating from day to day, grams of this vs. that wise. With the exception of foods like heavy cream and butter, or dry tuna. Veggies and fatty meats can have quite a bit of variation, that's true. But if I'm eating pretty much the same types of food, but in different ratios, and fitday says I'm getting 80 percent fat, 15 percent protein and 2000 calories, my ketones should be predictably higher than if fitday is saying the same calories, but 60 percent fat, 35 percent protein. And, just eating "ketogenic" foods without counting macros, I could end up at either of these places. I find I get a very different effect from varying the ketogenic ratio. Leaving carbs at 20 grams per day, with the higher protein intake, 2000 calories, I'll generally be hungrier, I might lose weight, but I'll be hungrier and prone to binges. At 80 percent fat, still 20 grams of carbohydrate net, I can lose weight without the hunger, and am generally happier and less socially anxious.

I'm not saying that you should be eating more ketogenically, since I don't know how ketogenically you're eating. But there's keto and then there's keto, if your response to a low carb diet isn't ideal, it might be good to know just where you fall on that line.

A lot of your symptoms sound like what can happen with prolonged, excessively low calorie intake. Do you know what your calorie intake is like? Calorie counting isn't just about keeping calories low, it's also about making sure that calorie intake isn't inappropriately low.