#2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 13:00

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Fascinating article in the New York Times about how yoga can cause severe injuries, paralysis, stroke, and even death.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/m...=me&ref=general

A lot of yoga seems to be so much mystical BS that I have a hard time taking it seriously. There are some good things from it but like many of the mystical studies, sorting out the good from the bad is hard.

My theory on anything is that if I am uncomfortable doing something, I am generally just not going to do that, and if some control freak instructor says otherwise, I would just leave.

Martial arts are also famous for both conditioning and injuries.

I suspect a lot does have to do with the ego of the instructor as much as anything.

In any case, it is also true that many people teaching a lot of things are not well grounded in the subject. You see this in people who teach little league or Jr tackle football. They are not taught basic skills because the coaches want to teach complex plays that the kids are not ready for. Many high school coaches of all sports are prone to this problem.

A lot of people teaching all kinds of things are just plain unsuited for the task, but the demand for instruction is high, so people who are poor choices for the task are pressed into service. For some reason a lot are control freaks and just don't get that most people are never going to be superstars, or even very good at what they are teaching. It would not matter much if the instructor or coach was the best coach in the world if the raw talent is not there.

Good coaches get the most out of what they have, but the truly great coaches are the ones that recognize talent and nurture it. The control freaks think it is about their skill as an instructor, but it rarely works out that way.