Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 21:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto
I was very interested in both the question and Judy's response. The original book had words like "butter" and "bacon", and unless you'd been specifically told by your doctor not to at egg yolks, whole eggs were fine. I don't remember beans being stressed. Now it's all beans and turkey bacon.

I'm still trying to find a plan that works for me -- or that I can stick to -- and have been rereading South Beach books again. Turkey bacon and ground poultry isn't appealing to me, and beans, while good for digestion and potassium levels, are high in carbs. As for salt, I noticed that Atkins is now saying to have two 1/2 tsps of salt or cups of chicken or beef broth a day.

I was just about to relaunch another try at SB, based on the first book when, I saw mudley's post. (I have to say that one of the reasons I've been starting and restarting is that aren't a lot of Beachers around. Isn't that childish?

I'm still here and am willing to help and support!
I think that what SB gives us is portion control on calorie dense foods. That's what I've taken away from it. If you prefer real bacon and limit it to 2 slices d ay, why not? Ground poultry doesn't have to be your thing....lean grd beef is good too. I do eat a lot of fish....the fatty ones too like salmon. I happen to like chicken breasts and cook up 2 lbs regularly to keep handy for a fast mean or snack.
As for the beans, they are limited to 2 servings daily...1/3-1/2 cup is a serving. While I don't eat a lot of beans, I do enjoy hummus as one of my favorite snacks with raw veggies as a dip.

Questions? I'm happy to answer!!