Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tealeaf's post actually makes a good point:

Quote:
I remember when the Atkins diet first became popular years ago. Many were claiming that it gave liscene to eat all you want, as long as you stayed away from carbs. I had people telling me that they could eat a pound of salami and cheese for lunch and dinner, and lose more than I could go by going low fat. I especially remember one magazine article on the diet that featured a large photo closeup of a slab of prime rib, garnished with a large chunk of melting butter, and the words "Diet Food?" emblazoned across. And I remember reading about a quote from the started of the diet himself where he said some to the effect of "Extra slices of chicken at dinner? Nonsense! I eat extra (i>chickens!".

People got hostile to those of us who are fat, but refused to go on the diet. About a third of the office where I worked at the time were doing Atkins, and I was approached and given "advice" several time of how I could get healthy if I would just put down the bread and pick up some bacon! Some really became mean, implying that by not chosing to join Atkins, I was offending them by choosing to stay fat when there was such an easy solution!

It always seemed like a fad diet gone mad to me. And a little cult-like to boot. In later times the main backers of the diet backed off from buttered steaks and extra chicken claims, but I don't doubt that there are people who still believe it is true. And if they don't lose weight doing it, it is because they cheated, ate a cracker or some ketchup at some point, not because Atkins failed in anyway.

Fad diets come, fad diets go. But Calories in < Calories burned = weight loss is here to stay.

He or she does have a good point about "atkins mania". I remember people really did believe that only eating carbs was it possible to raise insulin and gain fat; I was told this several times. In fact, people thought NOT eating was the reason stalls happened!
People really thought it was an eat all you want deal. People really thought if you were failing to lose weight despite not paying attention to how much food you were eating, the first thing you should look at is your carb intake (even if you were on a near ketogenic program already). Fortunately few people believe this now, but like tealeaf says, there probably are still some of us who really believe in the "fad" image of low carbing.