View Single Post
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 13:15
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Thanks everybody. The race went well today. It was cool, occasionally windy, with a dash of rain, snow and plenty of sun. There were a zillon people there, too. Big, small, old, and young - some even dressed up as minions. It was quite an event and I enjoyed it. I had 2 daughters signed up, but the one at ODU just got a new job and had to work. My youngest ran it with me and she loved it, too - even though I left her in the dust by the 1/2 mile mark. She says she wants to do it again next year. I think I will too.

The pace started off slow - a crowd in motion. I had to weave past so many walkers in that first 3 miles that I probably added at least a hundred yards to the distance. That thinned out some in the 2nd half of the race. I found a nice rhythm for the first 3 or 4 miles and just kept at that pace. As the crowd dispersed later in the race I picked up the pace a little. At mile 5 it started to get hard and I slowed some. Then I pushed hard for the last 3/4 of a mile on to the finish.

The race could not have gone better. I was ready for this distance. It wasn't all that hard and most of it was enjoyable. The crowds of spectators rooting us on and holding wacky signs helped. There was live music all along the way, too. It was cool, but that didn't matter once I got started. I was sweat soaked by the end. The muscles are a little sore now, but they were A-OK during the race. I did it. I finished. And it was totally amazing.

I started the activity tracker on my phone before I crossed the start line and tripped it off shortly after I crossed the finish line. I'm not sure how much time was counted outside the race. The clock on my phone said 71 minutes. The official results are not yet in. I'm pretty sure I hit my < 70 minute goal. I'll just have to wait and see. I'll post the results when I get them.

I just ate a big lunch and now I'm headed for a nap. I didn't get much sleep last night, so I might actually conk out for a while. I'll post some photos tonight.