#49   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 07:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycan
I am a good example of this! When I tried Carbohydrate Addicts Diet it was because it allowed oppurtunities for starches and sweets. After reading through posts here and reading articles and reading the book, I really thought it would work better for me than Atkins had. Then one day I got the bright idea to test my blood glucose....that changed everything! I started to see how that one high carb meal (allowed on CAD) was shooting my blood glucose into the danger zone. So no matter what the book said, and no matter how well it worked for someone else, I know that it will not work to improve *my* health.

This is what I meant, exactly! People have this tendency to think "the plan" has more power than it does. By all means choose a plan, but if we are following it, with no cheats, and it's not working, it is a sign that perhaps this plan is not the right one for us.

I tried calorie counting for a couple of decades with no ability to maintain my losses. I did low fat/high exercise for almost ten years, with steadily decreasing returns. Atkins did wonders, and by "climbing the carb ladder" I learned what foods worked for me, and which foods worked against me.

Then I refined my efforts, with a Primal (Paleo with dairy) slant, and now using Dr. Fung's approaches to Intermittent Fasting to get rid of the weight I put on with a certain medication. But only because they work for me. There's been things other folks do that work great for them, and not for me.

There might be people out there who count calories and go to the gym and keep weight off for years that way. But this has a 95% failure rate. This is not a good plan for all those people