#83   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 23:19
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Well, humans are funny creatures. Let a few things go awry in their lives, and they tend to turn to food in an attempt to make themselves happy. That's me. And it's been SO difficult to come back.
Hi Ellipsis-
I've been reading Schwarzbein (which I recommend to everyone, BTW) and now have a better understanding of how we use food as a "drug" to make us feel better when things go wrong. Carbs can act as a stimulant, just like caffeine, alcohol, tobacco or drugs....which raise seratonin levels temporarily but these substances produce high levels of insulin in the bloodstream which depletes seratonin. So you're robbing Peter to pay Paul, so to speak. The bottom line is that yes, eating carbs will make you feel better for the very short term, but the gross effect will be that your seratonin stores will be depleted and you'll feel even more depressed than before. So then you need more carbs to get your seratonin up and the cycle begins again.

Reducing stress is a factor that she emphasizes heavily for the same reasons....it starts a chain reaction that depletes seratonin. When we're stressed out and depressed, we also don't feel like exercising.... exercise helps to keep our seratonin levels up!! So it's no wonder, then, that in times of stress that we can easily find ourselves in a steep downward spiral.

The lesson is that when things go wrong in our lives it is SO VERY IMPORTANT to be even more diligent in staying on our plan.... if we don't, we can soon find ourselves on a very slippery slope indeed.

I'm glad you're working your way back to LC.... it really is the only game in town. You'll be feeling much better as the days go by... just be patient with yourself.