View Single Post
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 17:17

Plan: high protein and low carbs
Stats: 199/193/156
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool forced diet change

Hi Deb. I'm not diabetic, but I am and have been hypoglycemic for 18 years (low blood sugar) To many simple carbs cause a quick rise in blood glucose levels and than a sudden drop in blood sugar, thus causing symptoms of fatigue, shakiness, headache, nausia, sweating, mental concentration loss..........etc. When I was diagnosed with with this I did all the reading and research I could, but found my best advise from a naturopathi doctor, suggesting the best diet for hypoglycemics, is low carbo. diet with protein and small to moderate amounts of "complex carbs" which are "whole unprocessed foods" like vegetable, which take the body longer to break down by the digestive process, thus releasing a slower , more sustained release of insulin and glucose. So, I've been on this diet before it even became popular. I do cheat 2-3 times a week, as I love fresh fruit when in season. I do not eat any simple-processed carbs or white sugar at all. If, I don't stick close to my diet my blood sugar gets out of balance and I feel the effects. So, I'd just rather feel good.