Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthian
It wasn't hypoglycemia (I had that when I was younger and know the symptoms) but a deeper hunger that's hard to describe. I cooked up a couple of slices of bacon and that satisfied it. Are there any foods that are more beneficial in this situation than others?

Actually - yes. I don't do cardio, but some very heavy weight lifting. About 2 days after a session, when my muscles begin to repair themselves, I have experienced the deep hunger you're talking about. I've learned now to head it off at the pass.

First, it's important to know that after you've worked that hard you've depleted your glycogen stores, and your body gives first priority to restoring it. So go with the flow. Your body wants glucose - give in and eat some carbs.

As soon as I get home from the gym, even before I feel that hunger, I eat foods that can be quickly converted to glucose, like berries, LC pita bread, dark chocolate - and proteins like yogurt, cream and cheese. This is also the time I eat other carb-y things I don't usually eat, like buttered popcorn, or Chinese food for dinner. I choose a moderate amount of only one thing though, which seems to be all that's needed.

Once my body refills the glycogen tank it seems to relax, and the deep hunger I used to get on day 2 is greatly reduced. I can still feel the muscles repair - actually feel it - but the hunger it produces is softer, and no longer screaming at me. And I can eat regular meals on that day, instead of what felt like eating every hour on the hour. I never felt 'full' or close to it.

Hope this helps. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Lisa