#53   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-19, 11:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Well, there were coconuts... also much larger, fattier animals. And we would seek out fattier nuts and seeds. A lot is made of how lean wild animals are--even ten percent fat to lean gets you to a 50 percent fat diet (lean hydrated tissue, about 1 calorie a gram, fat, 9 calories a gram). Also animal fat stores well, even with old technologies. Remember oolichan grease, we were talking about that a lot when Jay Wortman came on the scene, yearly harvests of those little oily fishies gave people a source of monounsaturated fat that lasted them much of the year.

When food was seasonal--likely it made sense to fatten up alongside the animals on plant foods when gathering was more fruitful *cough* and then eat the animals once it wasn't. Deer might be possible to eat year-round, but a person with foresight might prefer to harvest when the animals are fat. Having some fatty pemmican stored up from the previous late summer/early fall is a better strategy than harvesting emaciated deer in the late spring.

The real problem for a lot of people was likely where to find fungus free organic fair trade coffee when they didn't even know coffee existed yet.

Yeah, fungus free must have been very difficult to find in those times . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I might be biased by my personal experience, going to fatty fat fat intake, I'm much leaner, have been for several years, than when I was on a more protein-centric low carb diet. Carbs have gotten stricter as well, but at the very least, there's some context under which much increased fat is not making me fatter.

I have no doubt that your ratio of fat to protein works extremely well. You've found a ratio that works for you. I've increased protein consumption as I get older, and, as mentioned in other threads, blood ketones do not go down. It's nice to hear Bikman's research confirms that as well, and that I don't risk muscle wasting when I do IF. I also understand why the carnivore approach is so successful for some. There was a time when I thought bulletproof coffee was the answer. That was a short time, and my response to no dairy (eliminate HWC in my coffee, that was tough ) and increased protein has been very positive in maintenance.

Also, when we talk about oolichan grease and pemmican, the climate had a large influence on how much of an energy source was required to get through cold periods. Given that fat is easy to store and has a huge contribution of calories, it seems to have been the ideal source for many peoples. Closer to the equator, not so much.