#48   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 12:38

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Re fructose and glucose and HFCS: Calianna, you may find of it of some comfort that regular old corn syrup (like Karo) which is what your mother probably used back then is 100% glucose. If you taste it, it is noticeably less sweet than sugar or HFCS. http://www.thekitchn.com/corn-syrup...fference-196819

Thanks for that information. Of course I was showing definite signs of hyperinsulinism even as a newborn.

Seriously - the day mom brought me home from the hospital, I slept for 14-1/2 hours solid. She called the doctor after the first 10 hours or so, because she was so concerned, and was simply told that I'd wake up when I was hungry. She called again after a couple more hours, and was again assured that I'd wake up when I was hungry. When she called back again after 14-1/2 hours, the doctor finally said it was ok to wake me up to feed me. She tried all the usual stuff to wake me - undressing me, changing my diaper, bathing me, and none of that worked. She finally resorted to snapping the soles of my feet with her fingernails to wake me so she could feed me.

Does anyone else remember playing desktop football with a triangular folded up piece of notebook paper, and how you'd "kick" the paper "football" across the table by forcefully snapping/flicking it with your fingers? That's exactly what mom had to do to the soles of my feet to wake me up, and let me tell you, fingernails snapped with that much force against the soles of your feet is downright painful - she did this a few years ago one time just to show me what she had to do to wake me as a baby, and it HURT as an adult. I can't imagine how it must have felt as an infant, but she'd flick my bare feet until I finally opened my mouth to cry, then immediately shove a bottle in there, flicking as needed to keep me awake enough to finish the bottle. She did this regularly, whenever it was time for a feeding for the first few months of my life (until I was waking up a little more on my own) although since I was automatically sleeping through the night from the time I was born, she didn't bother to wake me up at night to feed me.

The corn syrup may have been 100% glucose, but the sugar hit from all that glucose certainly had the same effect as sugar has always had on me. Despite missing one or two feedings every day due to sleeping through the night from the time I was a newborn, I was a very fat baby - all the excess insulin obviously sent every bit of that glucose straight to fat storage.