#44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 04:50

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
The other thing is that fructose raises insulin without raising BG, so if you measure BG you have no warning. ~15 yrs ago fructose was heavily promoted because it didn't raise BG like glucose, but now we know it is worse for you.

As I said before, I don't know a whole lot about the biochemical processes, but this is extremely interesting to me, as I've had reactive hypoglycemia - more accurately called hyperinsulinism, for my entire life. (I was born back when there was no ready-made baby formula, so the pediatrician would give the new mother a recipe to make the formula, so Mom would put corn syrup in the homemade formula, although I have no idea just how high in fructose standard corn syrup was in those days) (But I digress...)

I ate lower carb off-and-on for a few years when I was finally diagnosed as hypoglycemic in the early 70's. At some point after that, fructose was presented as not raising blood sugar (I was occasionally seeing this back in the 80's), and therefore safe for diabetics, and since the hypoglycemia diet I'd been given was essentially the same one they used for diabetics, I gave it a try - although pure fructose was prohibitively expensive as a home-cooking ingredient, so I didn't use it much at all, and therefore didn't notice any real difference from it.

However, they also started using HFCS in a lot of processed foods, and I foolishly thought that if fructose was ok for me, then HFCS must be mostly fructose, and ok too. (Remember that there was no google back then - accurate information about what was really in food could be difficult to come by)

Thus began the blood sugar roller coaster that lured me back to sugar. I spent the next 2 decades or so in a constant blood sugar cycle, up and down, up and down. Not that I was monitoring my blood sugar (since I wasn't considered a diabetic), but I could certainly feel the effects - eat, experience a quick burst of energy, blood sugar crash within in an hour or two, and either eat to bring it up again (and crash again, then eat again), or sleep for a couple of hours until it started to level out a little bit, then eat to bring it up again (and crash again in an hour or two). If I had only known that fructose was causing me to have such an increase in insulin, I would have avoided it like the plague.

After reading this about fructose actually causing the same insulin reaction as glucose, I'm seriously reconsidering the tiny little bit of fruit I eat these days - a few berries, and this time of year, the occasional clementine (Cuties - the smallest ones I've found).