View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 06:14

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Thanks Seejay. I am following the New Atkins for a New You. They recommend a daily protein average for my height at 84. I find that difficult to achieve as my diet is primarily protein/fat and I don't really enjoy fat without a protein. I am trying to get the protein down. But I still have days when I am hungry as well as days when I am not. Hungry days are hard to manage without protein/fat.

Controlling portion sizes after decades of thinking an 8 ounce steak was one serving, requires a deliberate change in mind set without feeling deprived. A 3 ounce steak is hard for me to achieve. I have managed to get it down to 4 ounces so far.

The possibility that I may be in caloric equilibrium had not occurred to me but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for calling it to my attention.

Although males my age have been studied, I can't find any research on females in my age group, so it makes sense that the recommendations on amounts may not apply to my age group.

Although I have been a serious low carber since 2006 (following Protein Power), I did allow a carb creep and re-gained 30 pounds. That's what I am trying to take off again. To date, since June 28, I have managed to take off 10 pounds -- most of it during the first 2 weeks of induction. Presumably all water weight.

I did find my body fat calculation, based on tape measurements as 40.40 as calculated by the computer program "Body Tracker." It has gone down a bit since June but not substantially.

I don't know if you read the initial Protein Power published in the early nineties, but they gave a formula for calculating body fat, lean body mass, amount body fat for men/women in different age groups based upon tape measurements. Since so many people had trouble doing the calculations, apparently, they simply gave lists in the next iteration. Over the years, my lean body mass has not changed.

The Eades have backed off from their 'eat as much as you want of protein' and now recommend proportions more in line with both the original Atkins as well as Westman, Volek and Phinney. I went back to Atkins this decade because that was the direction the research was pointing.

Being a Turtle is hard for a person with needs for instant gratification. It is certainly a lesson in patience.

So thanks again for getting me to re-think my strategy.