View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-17, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/207.8/125 Female 5’2
BF:
Progress: 16%

I take different approaches with different people when it comes to this sort of situation. I was on holidays last week and was at a nice restaurant. The server had spoken to my friend I was travelling with and she mentioned it was our last night. Minutes later he brought over a small piece of cake with Bon Voyage written in chocolate icing on the plate. He put it up n the table where I was seated and stood there like he expected me to take a bite. At this point I’m on vacation and 2 weeks into low carbing and one bite would have been the kiss of death. I’m a sugar addict just like someone else addicted to another type of drug. Once it’s out of my system, I feel great so I wasn’t going down that road. I told him “I appreciate your thoughtfulness but I can’t eat sugar for health reasons.” Instead my friend ate it as it was a very small piece.

With friends or family, I’ve told all of them I’m gone sugar free and they haven’t pushed anything in front of me. If they did, I would tell them my doctor said my sugar levels were too high ( which they were) and that I have to monitor it closely. If they still persist then my theory is they want to sabotage you.

I was once on a medically supervised diet years ago and as I kept losing weight, my mother in law came to visit. She tried to push everything in front of me and I was paying $150 a week to this clinic. There was no way in hell I was cheating. Told her no no no. For the full 2 weeks she was visiting. For some reason it really bothered here and she made jabs at me saying I wouldn’t get into a certain size 4 dress I bought for an upcoming wedding in the summer. I was a size 10 at that point and it was March and the wedding was in August. Well not only did I get into that dress but I have to have it taken in by a seamstress because I was a size 2. When she saw me months later, she couldn’t believe it. She never tried to push food in front of me again or talk about my weight.

If you need an excuse that will stop people expecting you to eat what they do, use the high sugar level excuse. Doctors orders and you value your health. I know it’s hard when inappropriate foods that aren’t part of your plan are out in front of you but I had to ask myself one question and that was do I want to be healthy? It sort of sucked going on vacation because my other vacation earlier this year was filled with unlimited buffets, a la carte restaurants and sugary pina coloads served to me on the beach all day long. I was proud of myself for low carbing and glad I didn’t stray. Once I made the full commitment, nothing was going to stop me. I survived and found some replacements by going to the grocery store and stocking a few things in the refrigerator in my hotel room. I found my favorite sugar free cookies and sugar free ice cream and I didn’t feel I was missing out. Restaurants were easy to work around and ate a lot of steak and chicken with Cesar salad with no croutons. Every morning was bacon and eggs.