Thread: Judy Judy Judy
View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 23:21

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hey Sheila! I also switched from Atkin's this year. I just basically stopped adding extra fat, or going out of my way to consume it, and tried to stay under 1700 calories. I don't believe fat (any kind) is bad but I have come to believe that calories are a factor when you are already small (at least for me they are.) I don't really count them now, as my food choices have become rather routine over time.

Also, I decided this time to employ several methods to try to get these last pounds off. I have definitely modified SB somewhat, so I am not a purist. I do have fruits everyday, and a starch every other day (yams, butternut squash) but will never eat wheat, sugar or processed foods if I can help it! I don't always choose lean meats, but don't always choose fatty meats like Atkins. I don't eat too much mayo and have been lighter on the dairy. I also added a sort of Paleo principle to the plan (only eating within a 5 or 6 hour window daily) and have also incorporated interval training (google HIIT.) Dr. Agaston recommends this in his book and since I am a retired fitness trainer, this made perfect sense to me. Judy sent me to a link, and one of the suggestions was to workout on an empty stomach if possible so I now workout when I wake up and do HIIT recumbent bike workout first and then do strength training (arms, abs, buns, legs.) My total workout is about 50 to 60 minutes 4x weekly.

I definitely am eating less than on Atkin's - no doubt - but have easily adjusted. I have about 60 carbs daily when I check Fitday. After you get into a groove, you'll love having the extra food choices. I do not find the extra carbs cause cravings and the intermittent fasting Paleo thing definitely helps control my appetite.

Hope I have helped and not confused. It sounds like you have succeeded on a plan and need to sort of shock your body to get it to change more. Increasing the carbs helped me to lose because I am hypothyroid and it only slowed my metabolism down worse not having any sources of quick energy. After you are keto "adapted" this happens from what I have read. I really do believe also in the one golden shot theory there - especially for metabolically resistant folks - though many will dispute this. I have seen Atkin's deliver dramatic results but when you get off plan (too many carbs) you quickly regain weight and even Dr. Atkin's admitted this in his book. This was always the fly in the ointment for me, as I like alcohol on the weekends.

Tell me about your workouts? If you do a lot of steady state, you are in for a surprise with how quick and more efficient HIIT really is if you haven't tried it.