View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: Nondieting/Moderation
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Thanks Santabarb, but are your children grown and out of school?

I didn't have what it took either - dumb as a doornail. Had her in public school - won't even go there. Tried private - $$$ and not much better than public school. Had a friend decide to homeschool, so we thought we'd "try" it for one year. We NEVER looked back.

For less than about $250 a year, I could completely educate my child at home with all of the support of a local homeschooling group. With all of the "teacher support" material that came with her material, it was a cinch.

I just had to plan out her day for her....and she was off! All of the questions were answered in the teaching guide materials. It was so easy, and SO much fun! We had about three field trips a week. Too fun. From making our own pizza's at Pizza Hut - to watching a local bank do business - to walking through the local jail - to watching our local post office work - to making chocolate at a chocolate factory - everything!

I desperately needed the support of a local homeschooling group for awhile. Then, that got to be too time consuming. As she got older, we just went off on our own and got 'er done! Gosh it was fun.

She will turn 21 this year, and she is the most balanced, well-adjusted person I know! (Just a wee bit prejudiced - nod-nod-wink-wink!)

She could choose whatever subject material she wanted within the range of subjects that she needed to study. By the time she was in 12th grade, she was studying Cellular Biology - FOR FUN!

She learned to read reading books about birds - that was her very favorite subject when she was little. We still have the house full of bird cages and the chicken coop full of hens, ducks, geese, and one rooster to prove it! Too fun! (We don't eat them - they are all named! Too funny.) Best eggs in the world, however. You would not believe how far and wide we had to look to find chicken feed that did not contain any antibiotics. This is getting too long-winded.

Just wanted you to know that anyone, absolutely anyone can homeschool. No one need to feel "qualified" in any way - other than the desire to provide the very best education. For example, if she didn't "get" or understand one lesson - then we did it again and again and again....until she "got" it. She was highly motivated to "get" it however, because if she wasn't finished with her work at the end of the year, we would go into summer - ugh! No child wants to do that. If my husband or I couldn't explain something (after reading the teacher support material), there was always someone in the homeschooling group that could help. So, it all worked out.

Just wanted to give you a little picture of it. Lots of fun and years and time with my daughter that I will never regret. I even knew a mother who wasn't able to be a stay-at-home mom, and she homeschooled in the evening.

Even on our busiest days, it never took more than 3 hours to get all of her lessons done. That's because there was no "filler." It was basically reading/English, writing, math, science, and history.

Gosh, I could just go on and on.

Thanks for the comment. I felt like I was really "sticking my neck out" when we first started homeschooling. I was actually terrified. But it was the best experience, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.