View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 17:37

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Solved my constant hunger - no more artificial sweetener for me!

So I've been struggling with extreme hunger all throughout my atkins weight loss journey. Even after eating a big low carb meal I still feel "hungry". It has been frustrating, and draining.

I thought for a while it was some kind of indigestion, but no indigestion or digestive remedies seemed to solve it.

But, I have recently gone completely off artificial sweeteners -
my reason was that because I am a super slow loser, like 1/4 to 1/2 pounds of weight loss per week, that I surmised that maybe I produce too much insulin in response to food. Too much insulin = poor weight loss. I also have lots of low blood sugar episodes. So I guessed that my body produces insulin in response to the sweet taste of AS. But, anyways --

I've been off artificial sweeteners for 4 weeks. Yesterday I had LOTS -- I made a thai coconut curry sweetened with plenty of splenda, then homemade low carb icecream with more splenda. Then some crystal light. Then more coconut curry. And a diet pop. This was from lunch until supper. It was incredible. I was hungry the whole time. From when I finished lunch to when I went to bed I was HUNGRY. NO matter that I filled my little belly until it was full, even a bit stuffed. It still felt hungry!

I was eating more than usual, but didn't feel full. I still had a "hungry" feeling. Then towards bed time I got a terrible headache.

I'm seriously thinking it is all the sweetener. Maybe I'm sensitive to it, I don't know. But I'm going to go off of it again for a while. Maybe I'll try another day where I have sweetener and see if the same thing happens again. Though I don't really want to!!

Anyone else have an experience like this??
Sponsored Links