View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-17, 17:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
I found you, along with High Carb Hannah, around this time last year. I was living in Belfast, Northern Ireland while studying for my master’s, and I was literally starving. I was about 210lbs (and have been over 200lbs since I was 12-13 years old) and still stuck in the low-carb, high protein diet mentality. Meat in the UK/Ireland is crazy expensive, and I could only afford the equivalent of about $20-30/week in food. I was eating fatty chicken thighs and salmon and soaking my food in oil just to feel satisfied. At one point, I counted calories and realized I was eating less than 1000 calories a day. I lived off of the free coffee in my university’s study halls. In addition to eating so little, I was walking between 5-7 miles a day because I didn’t have a car and Belfast’s public transportation was inconsistent and less than stellar.
Despite literally starving, I wasn’t losing a lot of weight. I had lost about 20lbs before then but my weight completely plateaued from there– for obvious reasons.

The only way I can see this being plausible is if water balance was obscuring fat loss. Walking 5-7 miles a day at a bodyweight of 210 pounds, with a 24 hour metabolic rate under 1000 calories--some people have slow metabolisms, yes, but you'd expect a higher metabolic rate if she was in a coma.

That 20 pounds of weight loss can hide a lot. Suppose just five pounds of it were water--that water could be regained while 5 pounds of fat was being lost, and not show on the scale. That's 20 454 calories. She doesn't give a particular period over which she plateaued. But that's enough potentially hidden fat loss to make her story, as given, a bit more bellievable--she could easily be telling the truth as she experienced it, but entirely wrong about what was going on. Even people who are water fasting, a situation where not losing at least some body fat is pretty much impossible, will sometimes stall or even gain weight, for brief periods.