View Single Post
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:06
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

"...Many accepted authorities on the subject..." Yes, and many accepted authorites state that we should be eating 5-11 servings of grain products a day, too. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be questioned, and that research shouldn't back it up. Not that I disagree with it, but the "8 glasses of water" thing was one of those stories that came not from research, but as something that people just kept repeating until it became assumed to be true - just like low fat. So again, I don't disagree with it, but it's up for debate. When all else fails, listen to your body.

>>"I have found in MANY MANY posts, where some people just IMPOSE (did I spell it right?) their knowledge and ideas."

Becky, you've been the worst offender of this lately. Most of us (not just moderators) word our advice loosely and generally. You've been very specific with numbers and freely use the imperative tense. Perhaps that's just the language barrier, but it comes across as authoritarian and more factual than it really is. "I did read it again as you ordered..." See? You didn't like it when I did it, but that's how you've been wording much of your advice to people. "But is just that, my suggestion and recommendation, and of course, is PERSONAL..I'm not a Doctor" Exactly. Which is why "prescribing" such exact numbers isn't a good idea. It doesn't matter whether or not you can find research to back it up - as we've pointed out, different sources have different nutritional paradigms behind them.

As long as you're getting enough, exact amounts of water, fiber and protein DON'T MATTER THAT MUCH. The "drink till you float" thing, the "body weight divided by two" thing, the percentages of fat/protein/carbs... these are all rules of thumb. Our bodies vary too much to try to pin these rules to the letter on anyone. Throwing studies at each other trying to define "enough" is pointless when you should be listening to your body. Stall or no stall - if you're peeing a lot, you're drinking enough water. If you're regular, you've got enough fiber. If you're eating according to your appetite and the rules of the book, you're most likely getting enough protein.

'nuff said.