View Single Post
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 13:09

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Interesting Verbena, here's my story. I grew up on the South Shore of Boston living at the end of a peninsula with salt water views of 270 degrees. My family and I spent much time on and in the water. I've always loved salt to the point that when I was young, I would walk around the tomato garden with a salt shaker and eat the ripe tomatoes right off the vine. This has not changed at all over the course of my life. So, while I may be an outlier, I don't believe that proximity to salt water or coastal living has much to do with one's need for salt. The rest of my family members have the same fondness for salt. So, while I understand that those who live in parts not near the ocean sometimes require more iodine, I don't believe it applies to salt. It's not that simple.

Another outlier here. And I also come from a family of salt lovers. I remember when we were kids my mom would admonish us to stop licking the salt shaker! My roommates in college used to joke that I was the creature on the old Star Trek series whose need for salt was causing murder and mayhem on the Enterprise. And I've never lived too far from the ocean. My husband has a smilar salt history. My husband says way back on one of our first dates that he knew I was the girl for him when he asked me if I wanted some salt while we were in the Burger King Drive Thru, I told him I had my own and proceeded to pull a superior McDonald's salt out of my pocket. (McD's salt is much finer and sticks into all the nooks and crannies).

You'd think the kids we created would be salt fiends, but yet only one is. The one thing I have noticed is that in both my and my husband's extended families, the more you like salt, the blander your palate tends to be.