View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 09:43
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

W-a-a-a-a-y back in time (the 70s), the sugar industry got really scared of AS. As industries do, they paid for studies and got the results they wanted. If rats consumed the equivalent of a trainload of saccharine, the rats developed cancer. As a result, it was proposed that we no longer be allowed to use it.

I wrote a letter to President Jimmy Carter begging to be allowed to have AS. The only time I ever wrote any President. If cigarettes were still on sale with only a warning on the packaging, AS could do the same.

I still use AS every day. I'm 72 and healthy.

On a side note, the Sugar Lobby was successful in having cyclamates banned in the USA. We're one of only a few countries where they are illegal. Cyclamates have no aftertaste and are relatively inexpensive. I buy mine from Global Drugs in Canada.
Quote:
Because the findings in rats suggested that cyclamate might increase the risk of bladder cancer in humans, the FDA banned the use of cyclamate in 1969. After reexamination of cyclamate’s carcinogenicity and the evaluation of additional data, scientists concluded that cyclamate was not a carcinogen or a co-carcinogen (a substance that enhances the effect of a cancer-causing substance). A food additive petition was filed with the FDA for the reapproval of cyclamate, but this petition is currently being held in abeyance (not actively being considered). The FDA’s concerns about cyclamate are not cancer related.
I always take dog-whistle studies with a grain of salt.