View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'd also like to point out that if you're going to zero in on and get focused on a number, make sure that it's a realistic one, whether it be a size or a number on the scale. Even at my ideal weight in high school of 112 pounds at 5' 3", I was a size 9 and I looked gaunt, not healthy. I would have had to be anorexic to get any smaller because my frame and body build are just not designed to be a 5, yet I see so many people striving for numbers like that and torturing their bodies/minds to achieve what? A number. "Forget health. Forget preserving lean body mass (or even adding to it). I'm gonna be a size 5 even if it kills me," they say. Why? Because that's the size of their best friend/favorite model/favorite movie star.
We'd all like to be a size 5 (and I'm using this number purely as an example...substitute your favorite number here), but for some that simply isn't realistic. Even if you were that size 10 or 20 years ago, that was then, this is now.
Height/weight charts are notoriosly inaccurate and don't take into account bone density and amount of lean body mass, which varies considerably from one person to another even if they are exactly the same height.
Does it really matter if that scale has a higher number on it than you'd like if you feel and look good? Is a lower number what you need or would some general toning and adding some lean muscle do a better job even if it meant a slightly higher weight? Would it be more feasable to focus on body fat percentage instead of a number on the scale?
There could be many reasons why your body doesn't want to lose weight, but before you put yourself through more frustration, get a lean body mass and body fat percentage calculated by someone who knows how to do it (not a scale!).
You may need to lose a few more pounds and if that's the case, the weight is likely to come off very slowly. OTOH, maybe you don't need to lose any more and your body is fighting you because it knows that you've already lost enough.
Food for thought (low carb, of course).