View Single Post
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 11:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I used maca to help with energy while I was waiting to start treatment. I can't really say if it helped or not. I don't take it now that I am taking the meds, I don't need it. My energy and libido have returned.

Mia, if you want to help treat your symptoms via diet and supplements you should make sure you're taking Selenium, Zinc and Vits E and D.

Selenium is VITAL for the production of the enzyme responsible for the conversion of T4 to T3. In addition, clinical trials have shown that supplementing with Selenium can help to lower the thyroid antibody counts, reducing symptoms that they cause, too. The maximum you would want to take is 200mcg a day – this is the total amount, so check your multi-vitamin and look at your diet for selenium rich foods, overdosing with selenium is possible.

Zinc (10 mg per day) is needed both before and after these production and conversion of T4 / T3 processes. Moreover, zinc is needed at the intracellular level to help the thyroid nuclear receptors attach and drive the reading of the DNA genetic code. Keep in mind that the main function of thyroid hormone is to help put the genetic code into action.

In addition to these minerals, vitamin D is necessary for thyroid hormone production in the pituitary gland, and possibly in the early stages of T-3 (thyronine) binding to its receptor. Vitamin E is part of the necessary supporting apparatus that enables the deiodinase enzyme to convert T-4 into T-3.

Diet wise avoid millett, soy (supressed thyroid), flax (also suppresses thyroid) and tea (contains fluoride which was once used to treat hyperthyroidism it suppresses thyroid so well).

Unless cooked avoid the following goitrogenic foods: African cassava, Asparagus, babassu, Broccoli, brussels sprouts, Cabbage, cauliflower, horseradish, kale, kohlrabi, leafy green vegetables (turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens), Legumes (beans and peas), peanuts, pine nuts, Processed meats, radishes, rutabaga, Spinach, turnips, Watercress

HTH
Nat