View Single Post
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-09, 12:04
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Hi Nancy and all other LCarbers out in Cholesterol land. My LDL is 260 right now, which is really high. That was the only bad thing in the blood work though. My Tris are down to 113 from 187 a year ago, and my HDL is maintaining at 66, which is up since before starting LC. My blood glucose was 89 after 6 months off metformin, so that was really good to see. I am guessing that the tri's will continue moving steadily downward and will get under 100 sometime next year.

I am not as concerned about the LDL as the doctor is, but I feel somewhat weird. I should be really happy about the Tri's/HDL/BG, but I'm not. I am a little concerned about the LDL. A year ago the LDL was 153 on LC. Everything that I've read indicates that it's not a significant finding and intellectually that's what makes sense, but there's some part of me that is doubting everything right now--there's some part of me that gets paranoid when it sees a total cholesterol of 349 and an LDL of 260. My official ICD-9 diagnosis has changed from "impaired fasting glucose" to "hypercholesterolemia", which is a bit unsettling. The name scares me a bit, even though there may actually be nothing going on. I wish I was one of those people whose LDL went down on Atkins, or at least stayed the same. Then my doctor would be pleased as punch. I am feeling like I need some reassurance right now. I don't like seeing my doctor make that face, but I also have no plans to abandon LC when it's helped me come so far.

I convinced the doc to do follow-up testing on LDL so we'll have more information on whether it's worrisome or not--have another lab invoice for a lipoprotein fractionation test, not sure if that's the one that I really need but hopefully will show that my LDL is all the large fluffy kind. He also included new tests for Vitamin D and B12. I am praying that the test comes back with good news, but it will be weeks before I hear the results because the health center is shutting down for the holidays. So I could get the bloodwork done next week but I won't hear about the results until mid January probably.

Do any of you have thoughts on an LDL of 260? I've never seen a number that high.

--Melissa