View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 10:37

Plan: Low Carb WOE
Stats: 156/135/135 Female 66 inches
BF:28/17%/19%
Progress: 100%

Ketosticks indicate that you are in ketosis. Usually, if it turns dark purple, you are in a state of dehydration, rather than "deep ketosis." Ketosis just means that you are burning fat instead of carbs. ANY change in color is good.

You do not want to become dehydrated, because drinking water helps to flush the ketones out of your body, which is really what you want. It's easy to get excited about dark purple, BUT it has no bearing on how much weight you lose!!!

20 grams of carbs all at once will cause a spike in insulin. Again, that isn't what you are shooting for.

You simply cannot do CAD and Atkins Induction at the same time. The purpose of Induction in the Atkins diet is for 1) Eliminating the insulin roller coaster in the bdy, thereby stopping cravings and 2) Switch the body into ketosis (or, fat-burning mode).

Some of the foods allowed in CAD will interrupt this process. Fruits will for the most part, prevent ketosis from happening. When I do Induction, I usually limit my carbs to below 20, rather than think about how to get all 20.

If you haven't read Atkin's book, you really should. It explains alot (and better than I can).

This way of eating has really changed my life, and set into motion all sorts of good things!

Welcome to low carbing!

Michelle