View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-01, 09:44

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default morning

Even though you may have to drag yourself into the gym to do it, doing cardio work first thing in the morning before you have eaten anything is the best way to use stored bodyfat for fuel.

There are studies that back this up, I just have to dig them up ... they're on this hard drive somewhere ...

When you do it in the morning before you have eaten (drinking water is OK, as is taking a fat burner -- asssuming it is safe for you to do so) your body has no other fuel source to get energy from ... ESPECIALLY if you are on low-carbs.

If you do it in the afternoon/evening, your body can convert protein to be used as fuel. I believe the process is called gluconeogenesis (hey look, your name is in there ...)

I may have spelled that wrong, but it is close. Morning cardio is the way to go, followed by cardio done after weight training.

But as a rule, ANY cardio is better than NO cardio ... LOL

Also, as you might have guessed, morning cardio isn't gonna be super high intensity stuff. Just give it what you've got.

As for duration, I usually reccomend people start with 15 to 20 minutes, and add 15 minutes to the workout each week. When you get to where your sessions would be 60 minutes in length, split them into two 30-minute sessions per day (one in AM, one in PM). Then use the same process, but add 5 minutes to each session until you are doing two 60-minute sessions per day.

Do this until your desired results are achieved. Take weekends off, to let your bodu recover. And every 8 weeks, take a full week off and just do "active recovery", which is a term trainer's use to sound important ... all it means is do activities that you enjoy that aren't (in your case) cycling.

For example, Fern and I did alot of elliptical training and tossed in some biking during our cardio sessions. For "active recovery" we played basketball.

Wow. How come every post I make is like a book? LOL. Face-to-face I am never this long winded ...

Hope it helps Genesis. Let me know if I can help with anything -- ot if I was unclear. I just woke up, and I am waiting for Fern to get out of the shower.

Have a great weekend!