View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 18:41

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Just finished reading the article which IMO is the best and most balanced article I have ever read on the topic. In particular, the article focuses on individual differences, and on what worked for different people - though there are some generalizations.

It also mentions when there is disagreement among dieters and scientists - whether BPA is a problem or not (I believe it is, and keeping weight has been easier for me since I try to avoid plastic especially with heated food, but drink my water from mugs or a metal water bottle)

Few things I feel could be improved - the reason why some docs say exercise is good for you but not so good for your diet is that exercise induces hunger in many. But it is an important natural anti-depressant, and ongoing/underlying depression is one of the major predictors to regaining weight.

I was very upset about the NYT article that basically said scientists say its in your genes, not in your will power.

So, what is really difficult is how to make it clear that overweight people CAN change their fate, no matter whether its BPA or genes or depression that got them where they are without being stigmatizing and making things worse. But we all know that self discipline is part of the recipe to keep in shape