Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 04:24

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
[QUOTE=chicachyna]
Also, people playing the home game, whether it's McDougall's starch solution or Atkins, are already sort of invested and probably have some reason to believe that the diet could work for them, or they wouldn't be trying it in the first place, that sort of investment might be lacking when people are randomly assigned to a diet group, believing something will actually work if you apply it properly is major motivation for compliance.

This is so important and so true. If you don't believe it is going to work then you are much less invested in following it.

I just spent yesterday morning addressing envelopes for a fund raising campaign with a woman who is eating a low carb auto-immune type diet on the advice of a naturopath, not for weight loss, she is thin, but for some other health issues she is having. She had been on it for 2 weeks and was finding it so hard to stick to. I probably burst her bubble in a way and maybe should have kept my mouth shut, but I gave her my I've been doing this for years and if accomplishes what you want, for me eliminating some debilitating health issue, it really can become very easy. I find myself lately not very sympathetic to people who lament the lack of ice cream in their lives.

As an aside, I pay no attention to anything about nutrition that comes out of Harvard.

Jean