Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default yes environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
That is environment. Not genetics.

Indeed. But this article on exactly that point is much better than a recent NY Times article, headline read something like people falsely attribute obesity to lack of willpower when experts say its genes.

Completely agree that the increase in obesity is the environment. But which? Is it pushing food into babies early, making 4 and 5 year olds sit still for hours to bring early learning, is it the only walks we do is from the parking lot to our office? Is it the diet of coke and pizza? or the plastic everywhere?
We really don't know which of these factors brought about the epidemic. I lived in China in 2009, and China's obesity epidemic is happening now, with a 30 year delay. And I still don't know... as all these changes happen at the same time...

The Time magazine is making exactly the point that genes only explain a small fraction, and talks about the individual reactions to exercise and diet being different, and no scientific study has been done on the genetics of which diet would work - it won't happen in my lifetime.

I also honor them to bring up BPA - and state clearly that science is still unclear about.

You all know so much more than the average Time reader, so considering that I still feel that while not rocket science, it is the best public science piece on dieting I have read.

Can anyone give me a reference for a better one?